Dog bite injuries by stray dogs or even domesticated ones, do occasionally happen. It is very common to spot stray dogs on almost every street you walk in. As loving as dogs can be, some stray dogs can be aggressive and may even try to chase you down. In rare and random cases some people get bitten by dogs. When a person gets bitten by a dog it is very important to know how to deal with such bites. In this article we will give you first hand instructions you can follow if you or any of your family or friends got bitten or injured by a dog.
Bites can result in one of the following injuries
- Punctures (deep cuts)
- Lacerations (jagged cuts)
- Scrapes or scratches
- Bruising and swelling
How to treat wounds
- Superficial wounds. These wounds are easy to clean. Simply run warm water over the wound and then clean with rubbing alcohol. You can apply an antibiotic in case of infection then cover with bandage.
- Deep/Puncture wounds. These wounds tend to be deeper and more serious.
- You will need to run warm water over the wound and clean with soap
- Remove any foreign object or material like glass, dirt or hair
- Let the wound bleed for a minute this will help clean the wound
- Apply pressure on the wound with a clean pad/towel to stop the bleeding
Note that these wounds don’t require bandage they are better left uncovered. If the wound is very big and you can’t control the bleeding you will need to go the nearest emergency room.
- Unattached body part. If you have severed a body part like a finger or an ear, you will need to clean it well, seal it in a plastic bag and then put in ice. This will help protect this body part which may be sutured back in place.
Signs that your wound is infected
- The wound gets more painful
- Discharge from the wound
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Shivers or developing a high temperature (over 38°C ).
If the animal that bit you seems to be partially paralyzed, acts aggressively, or behaves in a strange way, then it may be rabid.
For any bite, be sure to clean and disinfect the wound thoroughly, because all animal bites can transmit bacteria and cause infection.